Thursday, December 4, 2014

Week 8: Stereotypes and the Ethnics of Representation

Stereotypes are so omnipresent in today’s society that we don’t even realize it’s there most of the time. For the most part, I’ve been so exposed to them that I barely even notice them unless they’re blatantly obvious. I don’t actually mind having stereotypes in our mass media unless it has a negative effect on the culture they’re portraying. It can be dangerous, however, when all a person knows about a culture is simply based on the stereotypes they’ve been fed alone.

A stereotype can be defined as a widely spread, oversimplified image or idea of a particular culture, person, or thing. The first thing that comes to mind is culture stereotypes, such as the notion of the burger-eating, loud-mouthed American, or the squinty-eyed, extremely intelligent Chinese, or even the beret-wearing, wine-sipping French. We’ve been so exposed to these ideas that as soon as someone mentions a race or country, we almost instantly make up an image of how we expect their people to look like, even if it isn’t particularly true.

Most of the time, these stereotypes aren’t too dangerous, provided people don’t take them too seriously. Sometimes, however, they have adverse effects on the people in question. There have been instances of blatant racism and lack of understanding of certain cultures because people have decided to base their opinions on stereotypes alone. I’ve seen firsthand of perfectly nice and reasonable people disliking an entire race simply based on a few stereotypes, and it is not pleasant at all in the slightest.
On the other hand, stereotypes are also highly marketable. Some stereotypes are largely harmless once we step away from the whole cultural minefield – the notion that cats are mean, and that dogs are dumb, but heroic. Those tropes are extremely commonplace and generally not harmful to either cats or dogs. It’s stereotypes like these that I don’t mind, because they’re highly exploitable, usually amusing, and don’t harm anyone.

I also admit that they are a necessary strategy in character design and representation. People like seeing new things, but they also like seeing how old ideas can be reinvented. By fixating on a stereotype, creators can develop new designs and have people understand its origins or intentions as long as they include a little of the stereotype along with it. For example, a new character can be designed and look entirely non-Asian, but all the creator has to do is put something associated with the culture (a paper fan, a ninja star, etc.), and viewers will instantly see it as being part of that culture. It’s a very simple but effective strategy and sells very well to fans of that one particular culture or idea.

I have been affected by stereotypes, though fortunately none too badly. A lot of people think I’m clever simply because I’m Asian (and wearing glasses, for that matter – surely a sign that I’m highly intelligent). They also tend to be surprised that I speak fluent English because they had expected me to have an accent based on appearances alone. The one I find most disgruntling is the stereotype people form of me based on my religion. I wear a cross around my neck – just a small one, hidden most of the time – to show what religion I belong in. Some of my friends had mentioned that they were surprised that I was personable and open-minded because of the general stereotype that all Christians were narrow-minded, gay-hating, and pushy. This is, of course, not true – it only represents a small part of the Christian population; but such an image is so widespread now that it is the first thing people think of now.


While I do admit that most stereotypes have at least a grain of truth to them, I don’t think that we should judge people or things too much based on stereotype alone. It’s alright to make light of them, to appreciate them sometimes as a joke. I personally think that as long as we don’t cross the line, stereotypes can be perpetuated and spread around in mainstream media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment